Thursday 16 October 2014

Psalm 4 - Questioning God, Finding Reassurance

For the director of music. With stringed instruments.
A psalm of David.

Statement
1 Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have given me relief when I was in distress.
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!


Ask
2 How long will you people turn
my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions
and seek false gods?


Answer
3 Know that the Lord has set apart
his faithful servant for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him.


Apply
4 Tremble and do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.
5 Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
and trust in the Lord.


Ask
6 Many, Lord, are asking,
“Who will bring us prosperity?”


Answer
Let the light of your face shine on us.
7 You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and new wine abound.


Apply
8 In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, Lord,
make me dwell in safety.



Psalm 3, 4 and 5 form a trilogy of David's emotional state during the time of his son Absalom's rebellion.

His troubles are far from over, but he acknowledges that God has answered his prayers in the opening statement.

You have given me relief when I was in distress.

The rest of the Psalm forms a pattern of David asking a question, getting an answer and applying the answer.

Ask 1
 How long is this trouble going to last?
How long will you  turn my glory into shame?
            A1                               B2
How long will you love delusions/seek false gods?

            A2                             B2

Answer 1
The Lord offers reassurance to David.
the Lord has set apart his faithful servant
    A1              B1
the Lord hears when I call to him.

    A2               B2

Apply 1
David resolves to Trust God and keep on keeping on with him.

Ask 2
David asks where does prosperity or happiness come from?

Answer 2
Happiness relies on outside circumstances - David's circumstances are pretty dire.  But he realises that Joy comes from within, it comes from a right relationship with God.  God gives him more joy than the happiest moments in the year when the harvest comes in and grain and wine abound.
You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and new wine abound.


Apply 2
With this realisation David can sleep in peace and confidence.

In peace 
I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, Lord,
make me dwell in safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment