Saturday 25 October 2014

Psalm 13 - Bemoan, Be Praying, Believe.

For the director of music. 
A psalm of David.

Bemoan
1 How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?


Be Praying
3 Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
4 and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.


Believe
5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing the Lord’s praise,
for he has been good to me.




The Psalms are meant to be sung.  We don't know the original tunes but Brian Doerksen does a really good job with Psalm 13.

Psalm 13 - How Long O Lord?


David starts with a Lament, he is bemoaning the fact that the Lord is not responding to his situation, How Long will this go on? Is it going to be bad forever?
The first 2 lines focus on the Lord, the next 2 on David's feelings and the 5th line the problem - David's enemies.
1 How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day [I] have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?


David's relationship with God is good, he can be open and honest with God without worrying the relationship will suffer. He can say Look at me! Answer me!
Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
God does not get upset with us if we harangue and hassle him, in fact in Luke 18:7 in the story of the persistent widow, Jesus encourages it, 'And will not God defend and protect and avenge His chosen ones), who cry to Him day and night?'

David asks God to give light to his eyes, this phrase is used a few times in the bible.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
When people are at the point of death, or exhausted or starving the light goes out or dims in their eyes.  But a restoration of health, hope or food can make the eyes light up or brighten.  In 1 Samuel 14:29 Jonathan says See how my eyes have brightened because I tasted a little of this honey.

In the transition from praying for help to belief that God will come through there is a move from the enemies rejoicing over David's fall to David rejoicing over his salvation.
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
my heart rejoices in your salvation.


At the end of the psalm belief and trust in God is restored.  We do have a tendency to leak sometimes, so top ups are a frequent neccesity.
And all that is left to do is :-
sing the Lord’s praise....

No comments:

Post a Comment